Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri believes Jamie Vardy has proved he can be the best after the striker’s latest heroics. Press Association Rondon gave the Baggies a first-half lead and Rickie Lambert scored his first goal for the club with a late penalty. But Albion boss Tony Pulis felt decisions went against them and they should have had two more penalties after fouls on Jonny Evans and Darren Fletcher. He also confirmed he will speak to referees’ chief Mike Riley about Anthony Taylor’s calls. “We are disappointed with the penalty decisions. Everyone in the crowd would have said Fletcher’s was a penalty,” he said. “With Jonny Evans the referee is only two yards away and he gets pulled back. You have to do well to miss it. Why he has not given those two I don’t know. “I will speak to Mike Riley. At this level the referee should be getting those decisions correct. They say for the second goal the lad (Mahrez) is offside. We have a linesman over the far side who can see it clearly and can see it across the line. “Decisions which could have helped us didn’t go with us. “Let’s give Leicester credit, they are decent and played to their strengths. Vardy is a handful, he is on fire and caused us problems all afternoon.” The England forward scored for the eighth successive game in the Barclays Premier League to make it 11 goals for the season in the Foxes’ 3-2 win at West Brom. He is just two games away from equalling Ruud van Nistelrooy’s league record, which the Dutchman set at Manchester United in 2003. The comeback victory, after Salomon Rondon’s opener, sent Leicester third and they remain unbeaten away from home having lost just once in the league this season. Ranieri said: “Jamie is just starting his career now. He comes from non-league but for him it is not too late to arrive at a high, high level. I wish all the best for him. “I have a very good feeling now, not only with the strikers or only with Vardy. I feel very good here at Leicester with the chairman, with the family of the chairman, with all my staff, with all our players, all our fans. It is fantastic, there is a good electricity. “It’s one of the best atmospheres I’ve had at any club. I am a very lucky man to be here.” Riyad Mahrez turned the game when two quickfire goals made it 2-1 in the second half before Vardy’s strike, although winger Mahrez was offside for his second. It was the sixth time the Foxes have come from behind this season and they have won 10 points from losing positions. Ranieri added: “I know with Leicester they never finish the match, we only finish when the referee whistles. I believe everything is possible with this team. “My stress levels are okay, when we lose it’s not so good. We know it’s difficult to win here.”
Bolger has been the man to follow for so long in races of this nature in England and Ireland, and Josies Orders beat the reopposing Any Currency in a handicap over the unique course last month. “We’re meeting Any Currency on much worse terms, it’s going to be tough at the weights,” said Bolger. “He’s a cross-country horse, though, so he’s going to have to carry it. He had a lot of luck the last day, too but he’s only seven so you’d like to think he’s still improving. “Love Rory is only seven, also, but he’s won two cross-country races at Punchestown so carries the full penalty. I’d be hoping for a good run from him. “Both are capable of running into a place.” Of the 14 declared runners, nine are trained in Ireland. The only ones not travelling from the Emerald Isle are Any Currency, Paul Nicholls’ Sire Collonges, Tom George’s Kilbree Kid, Richard Hobson’s Valadom and Martalin, sent over from France by Patrice Quinton. Enda Bolger thinks Josies Orders and Love Rory could be up against it in Friday’s Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase at Cheltenham. Press Association
Press Association “We know they’ll come back at us and what it will take to win over there where they have a great home record. “So we need to be in a good place to go there and make this matter.” Toulouse head coach Ugo Mola praised Ulster’s performance but was disappointed at how poorly his side had played. “My frustration? It’s important to keep that for next week and try to work more. “We must remember this experience. They dominated us physically and technically and at the set-piece. I think we had a big lesson.” “We hurt them and they will be wounded and will come out fighting.” After four high profile injuries last week, Kiss also praised his side for dealing with adversity in the ideal manner by keeping the four-times European champions to nil for the first time in the competition, while seeing his own team climb from the bottom of Pool One up to second. He continued: “The character that was shown last week (with the injuries striking in the Guinness PRO12 game with Edinburgh, which Ulster won) was shown again this week. “We knew this performance was there sitting on the edges and it was great to see them back themselves the way they did. “We got ascendancy through our relentless patience and our defence to just squeeze the life out of the freedom that they wanted to enjoy. “For us to put pressure on the pool we had to do that,” said Kiss while admitting that leaders Saracens (who beat Ulster with a bonus point in their opening game also at the Kingspan) are still in a strong-looking position. “It’s important we get some points out of it next week,” he then added of the return game. “For us we can pat ourselves on the back then miss the boat next weekend. Ulster coach Les Kiss warned his side of the potential backlash awaiting them in France next weekend after Friday’s 38-0 win over Toulouse at the Kingspan Stadium brought them back from the brink in the European Champions Cup. Tries from Nick Williams, Andrew Trimble, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey and Chris Henry humbled Toulouse, who also had two players sin-binned to Ulster’s one and Kiss said: “Our boys were brilliant to keep them to nil. “But we know that next week is going to be a different story so we have to be geared up for that. We must make sure we’re ready for a massive backlash.”
Jose Mourinho has refused to rule out Diego Costa returning to Atletico Madrid, but maintains the striker is happy at Chelsea. The Brazil-born Spain striker has taken time to show any menace and often appears too pre-occupied antagonising defenders to focus his energies on scoring goals. He has apologised for his petulant bib throw in the direction of Mourinho when an unused substitute at Tottenham and was restored to the starting line-up at Porto, after which he spoke of a possibility of returning to the Vicente Calderon Stadium as rumours continue he has not settled in London. “He didn’t say that. He said in football you never know,” Mourinho said. “Felipe Luis was one example. He could also say Fernando Torres, another example. “Atletico is a great club. Madrid is a great city. La Liga is a great league. “So why can’t a player at 27 years old think that in football it’s possible to be back? I don’t see that as a problem.” Mourinho was asked if Costa could be a Chelsea great, like Didier Drogba. “Drogba was here for 10 years. I don’t see Diego playing till he is 38,” Mourinho added. “He is happy here. He likes to be here. He’s another one who has, I think, three more years (on his) contract. “I see him staying at Chelsea for three more years, no problem. I see that.” Mourinho first arrived at Chelsea in June 2004 and settled quickly, having, he says, earned his move from Porto. But he believes now it is “too easy” for foreign managers to be appointed Premier League bosses, stifling the development of native talent. “When you have English clubs (making you an offer) you don’t think twice,” Mourinho said. “You come to the country number one in European football, to the championship number one, and you feel that you have to deserve to be here. I think I did enough to deserve to be here. “At this moment it’s too easy. The number of foreign coaches in the Premier League, even in the Championship and maybe in League One – I don’t know – is too big compared with the number of English, or in this case British, managers. “Yes, I speak against myself, but I think it’s true. “I am not British, but I feel sympathy (for British managers).” Mourinho pointed to his native Portugal, where 15 of the 18 Primeira Liga managers are locals. He believes that is his legacy, following his hugely successful stint with Porto, which culminated in the 2004 Champions League win and a move to chelsea. “Some people say that – and it’s true because something changed in the last decade – that it’s a bit of an effect of what happened with me,” Mourinho said. “People start believing and start giving chances and they were doing well. Then comes another one (manager), then another one, then another one.” Mourinho says there are “lots of good coaches” in England and it is down to them to take their opportunity. “When you have the chance, when you have the real one, the big one, the one where can make a big impact by winning something, by having the chance in front of you and grabbing it with both hands – it’s what they have to do,” he said. Costa has scored four times this season and just seven goals since January, when his prolific start to life at Chelsea following his £32million move from Atletico came to a halt. The 27-year-old was hindered by suspensions and a niggling hamstring injury, while he admitted reporting for pre-season training last summer carrying additional weight. Press Association
The city of West Palm Beach and West Palm Beach Police are reminding drivers about the new texting and driving law.Watch press conference with West Palm Beach Mayor Keith James here.It went into effect on July 1, but citations won’t be issued until next January.Right now, everyone’s in a warning period.Police teamed up with the city to launch a Vision Zero Safety team.They will focus on three critical intersections in the city:Broadway between 36th and 59th Street.Palm Beach Lakes between Dixie and Village.Okeechobee Boulevard between Dixie and Indian Road.
Ten Democrat presidential candidates qualified for the next debate in Houston on September 12th.Eleven candidates have been left out in the cold, but still they make the next debate in October.The candidates who will take part in the September debate include former Vice President Joe Biden who will be standing next to Sen. Elizabeth Warren center stage.Here’s the full list of 2020 contenders who will be on stage that night. Former Vice President Joe Biden New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg Former HUD Secretary Julian Castro California Sen. Kamala Harris Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar Former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren Andrew Yang, businessmanABC and Univision are hosting the debate at Texas Southern University on Sept. 12. 850 WFTL will carry the debate live as well as stream it on our website.
Keep the fridge and freezer doors closed as much as possible in order to keep the temperature cold. Have coolers handy to store what you plan to eat or drink during an outage. However, not all refrigerated foods need to be thrown away. Foods you can keep include: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends setting your freezer temperature at or below zero degrees and your refrigerator temperature at or below 40 degrees before storm conditions begin. The refrigerator will typically keep food cold for about four hours if it remains unopened. If an outage lasts longer, move perishable items into coolers and surround them with ice, in order to keep the temperature at or below 40 degrees. Food should be safe in a half-full freezer for up to 24 hours, and up to 48 hours, if the freezer is full. Before the storm: Fresh mushrooms, fresh uncut vegetables, fruits, herbs and spicesBreads, rolls, cakes, muffins, quick breads, tortillasOpened vinegar-based dressings, Worcestershire, soy, barbecue, and hoisin saucesOpened fruit juices, opened canned fruits, dried fruits, raisins, candied fruits, datesPeanut butter, jelly, taco sauce, mustard, catsup, olives, picklesRemember to stay tuned to 850 WFTL for all the information you need before, during and after Hurricane Dorian. With power outages likely during and after Hurricane Dorian, it is important to know how to keep food safe in your refrigerator and freezer for as long as possible, and when to throw away items. Freeze containers of water in order to make ice that will help keep food cool. Buy dry ice or block ice if it is available in stores. After power is restored, check the freezer thermometer. If you do not have a freezer thermometer, check each package to determine its safety. If the food is 40 degrees or below or contains ice crystals, it is safe to cook or refreeze. Arrange food items close together in the freezer so they stay cold longer.During a power outage: Air-tight freezer bags should work as well, although you should make sure to store them on the bottom of the freezer, or in a shallow box or baking pan. Avoid putting bags of water on wire-rack shelves, as they could be difficult to remove after freezing.If you have an ice maker, set it to make as much ice as possible. Also, freeze gel packs. Perishable food, which includes meat, poultry, seafood, milk and eggs that are not kept adequately refrigerated or frozen, could cause illness if consumed. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ foodsafety.gov site, items that you should throw away if they are exposed to temperatures greater than 40 degrees for more than two hours, include: Raw or leftover cooked meat, poultry, fish, or seafood, or soy meat substitutes. Lunch meat, hot dogs, bacon, sausage, or dried beefSoft cheeses such as cottage, cream, bleu, Roquefort, Brie, shredded cheeses, Monterey Jack, mozzerella, and ricottaFresh eggs or foods cooked with egg. Dairy products, including milk, sour cream, buttermilk, evaporated milk, soy milk, heavy cream, yogurt and eggnogOpened baby formula, custard, puddings, quicheSliced fruits, cooked vegetables, tofu, pre-washed greensCasseroles, soups, stews, potato salad, cheesecake, custard pie, refrigerator biscuits, rolls, cookie doughCooked pasta, fresh pasta, cooked rice, cooked potatoesFish sauces (oyster sauce), creamy-based dressingsOpen mayonnaise, tartar sauce, and horseradish if above 50 degrees for more than eight hours Freeze anything in your refrigerator that can handle freezing, such as milk, fresh meat and poultry and leftovers. Since water expands as it turns into ice, make sure to not fill any container more than three-quarters.
“It’s a great opportunity to get some rain, but the problem is that sometimes it comes fast and furious and that could be the situation this weekend,” Kottlowski adds.The National Weather Service in Miami has set the “rainy season” from May 15 through Oct. 15.Mostly clear skies are expected through Saturday night, when the rain chances increase to 50 percent. The chance of rain increases to 80 percent on Sunday.South Florida’s rainy season typically produces about 70 percent of our region’s annual rainfall.Coastal Palm Beach County has received 4.8 inches less rain than normal since January. In the 16-county region from Orlando to the Keys overseen by the water management district, the average deficit is 3.4 inches.Although drought has lessened in the state during the past month, all of Palm Beach County is still considered “abnormally dry,” according to the U.S. Drought Monitor’s April 30 report. A new report is due to be released Thursday. Grab those umbrellas!South Florida could be in for a very rainy Mother’s Day weekend, with some parts of the region in for as much as eight inches of rain through Monday.The wet weather and accompanying wind is being partially triggered by a cold blast in the Northeast.The heaviest showers are expected to begin late Saturday into Sunday, as a cool front hangs over Central Florida, with a low pressure front underneath it.“It’s definitely going to be a washout,” says AccuWeather senior meteorologist Dan Kottlowski about Mother’s Day. “It’s going to be a widespread rain event, so you might as well quarantine yourself for the day.”Flooding is also possible in low-lying and poorly-drained areas.South Florida Water Management District meteorologists also are forecasting average rainfall of 2.5 inches through Monday, with locally heavy rains puddling six to eight inches where showers end up stalling.May 6 – Heavy rain and flooding potential may increase late this weekend into early next week. Keep up with the forecast! #flwx pic.twitter.com/DaNutnjNfX— NWS Miami (@NWSMiami) May 6, 2020
Meanwhile, Palm Beach County’s unemployment rose to a record 13.9 percent in April. At that time, Veenstra’s organization had about 300 local job openings. As of last Friday, he said the number is at 2,800 available positions.“It’s showing us that things are beginning to reopen, rehiring and hiring is ramping up, and that’s encouraging,” he explains.The latest unemployment numbers for Palm Beach County and the state are expected to be released on June 19. The coronavirus pandemic’s grip on the national economy seems to be weakening, at least slightly.According to figures released Friday by the U.S. Department of Labor, the national unemployment rate dropped from 14.7 to 13.3 percent, or 21 million unemployed Americans, from last month to June.Tom Veenstra, from CareerSource Palm Beach County, is surprised and encouraged by the new jobs report.“This is the first bit of encouraging news we’ve had in months,” he says. “We hope that, that will translate to a state and county level when the new information comes out in two weeks.”#JobsReport https://t.co/mEtuTZTiUm pic.twitter.com/IfBHbC1bIZ— US Labor Department (@USDOL) June 6, 2020
Stand or kneel? There will be no kneeling for the Miami Dolphins on the sidelines this season because the Miami Dolphins are going to be staying in the locker room for the national anthem this season. In a video yesterday released, players announced they’ll stay in the locker room during the National Anthem before Sunday’s game at New England. BREAKING NEWS: The@MiamiDolphins players will stay inside for both national anthems. They express their discontentment with what they call “fluff and empty gestures” by the @NFL pic.twitter.com/ghUktHhPt9— Jay Williams (@RealJayWilliams) September 10, 2020 The NFL plans to play the Star Spangled Banner and the song known as the black national anthem before the game, but players, in the video, question the league’s sincerity in pushing for social change.Miami’s video refers to “fluff and empty gestures” from the NFL as well, indicating that more prominent action is needed to facilities the necessary changes to advance equality for all. Prominent Dolphins figures included in the video team captains Bobby McCain, Kyle Van Noy, Ted Karras and Elandon Roberts plus young talents such as Mike Gesicki and Christian Wilkins — plus head coach Brian Flores, who offers a heavy hitting final line.“Before the media starts wondering and guessing, they just answered all your questions. We’ll just stay inside,” Flores closes.