Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns local radio journalist Luka Popov’s murder yesterday in northern Serbia and calls on the authorities to do everything possible to identify the person or persons responsible and bring them to justice. The body of Popov, who worked for two local radio stations in the northern towns Čoka and Novi Knezevac, was found today in his home in the nearby village of Srpski Krstur. Witnesses said he appeared to have been tortured.Although the police have yet to confirm the victim’s identity, the two main Serbian journalists’ organizations said it was Popov and that he had sustained significant visible injuries. The police have begun an investigation and are to conduct an autopsy tomorrow.“We condemn this barbaric murder and urge the authorities to conduct an independent, impartial and thorough investigation so that it does not go unpunished,” said Pauline Adès-Mével, the head of RSF’s Europe-Balkans desk.Serbia is ranked 59th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. RSF_en News Police officers in front of Luka Popov’s home / Copyright B92 Follow the news on Serbia SerbiaEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Violence Organisation June 7, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Nearly half of UN member countries have obstructed coronavirus coverage Serbia and Montenegro: Are judges protecting journalists or their aggressors? Receive email alerts to go further News News SerbiaEurope – Central Asia Condemning abuses Violence Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says July 2, 2020 Find out more June 17, 2016 – Updated on June 20, 2016 Serbia: RSF appalled by radio journalist’s murder News June 29, 2020 Find out more
Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Google+ By News Highland – May 6, 2014 Twitter Facebook LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton WhatsApp Google+ Irish Business Against Litter says there are concerns at what effect the abolition of town councils will have on cleanliness in Irish towns, after 80% of towns included in last year’s litter league were found to be clean to European norms.That list included, Letterkenny, which IBAL has confirmed will be included in this years’s league which was launched this morning.For 2014, IBAL is expanding the inspections to include important link roads between towns, including the road from Lifford to Letterkenny.Spokesperson Conor Horgan says it makes sense to do so………Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/iballaunch2014.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Twitter Business Matters Ep 45 – Boyd Robinson, Annette Houston & Michael Margey RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp News Pinterest Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Previous articleICSA invites candidates to debate farmers’ issuesNext articleDonegal’s top earning councillor made 92K over the last two years News Highland Pinterest Facebook IBAL confirms Letterkenny will be included in 2014 litter league Need for issues with Mica redress scheme to be addressed raised in Seanad also
Press Association McGoldrick, whose only football since February came as a late substitute in the second leg of the Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-final defeat by Norwich, said: “I’ve had three months off, basically, through injury, so I am full of energy and enthusiasm. “You get your drive back – sitting out watching the games, you realise how much you miss it and I am delighted to be called up. “These two weeks couldn’t have come soon enough. I just want to train and play and just be a part of the squad. “Normally after the season finishes you put your feet up for a few weeks. But on this occasion, after the play-off defeat on the Saturday, I trained on the Monday to get ready for this. “I have just been ticking over and we’ll get time off after this. But for me, I have had three months out, so I have been wanting to build my fitness and keep building my fitness until pre-season, so this is a great chance for me to come and train, get the intensity and everything like that.” McGoldrick trained along with his team-mates at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday morning after the session was switched to the Lansdowne Road venue a day after howling winds and driving rain greeted them on the coast at Gannon Park in Malahide, their usual base. Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter sat out after bruising a foot in training on Monday, but is expected to resume on Wednesday, while defender Paul McShane did only non-contact work as he continues his recovery from a gashed leg. Defender Marc Wilson, winger Aiden McGeady and striker Shane Long joined up on Tuesday, with Jon Walters expected in on Wednesday and Wes Hoolahan later in the week because of a family bereavement. David McGoldrick is desperate to make up for lost time by forcing his way into Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill’s thoughts ahead of Sunday’s friendly clash with England. The 27-year-old Ipswich striker suffered a frustrating end to the domestic season after a niggling thigh injury prevented him from playing a part in his club’s ultimately unsuccessful bid for promotion to the Barclays Premier League. However, the England game, and the crucial Euro 2016 qualifier against Scotland which follows it next weekend, mean he still has a chance to prove his worth once again before he heads off on his summer break.
Most African Heads of State, we are sure, were quite surprised, even shocked. This is not the kind of thing they do—criticize a fellow Head of State—for any reason.Yet that is exactly what Rwandan President Paul Kagame did last weekend to his Burundian counterpart, President Pierre Nkurunziza, for “the upsurge of violence” in that neighboring country.“People are being killed every day; bodies are found on the streets . . . leaders are spending time killing people,” President Kagame cried. Why all these murderous atrocities in Burundi? What else but to stifle, flush out, finish any dissent or opposition whatsoever to the bloodthirsty regime, which constitutionally has no business being in power. The Burundi constitution limited a president to two terms only. But no, Pierre Nkurunziza, hungry and greedy for power, did not care, leading his country into political turmoil, even civil war. He had to run for a third term, no matter what.The people courageously demonstrated their opposition. Parts of the military, sensing the threat to the country’s peace and stability, even tried to stage a coup. Nkurunziza responded with ruthless brutality and even murder, killing anyone deemed to be in opposition to his illegal regime.This led President Paul Kagame to ask desperately, “What kind of politics is this?” Coming as he did out of the 1994 genocide that occurred in his own country, Rwanda, where over a million Tutsis and moderate Hutus were massacred, Kagame knows only too well what violence is. That is why he has striven to run a good, clean government and country. Rwanda has been described as one ofAfrica’s most progressive countries—not in the exclusively political sense—unlike the Liberian ‘progressives’ of the 1970s, who preached a lot of rhetoric and succeeded in conscientizing the students, youth and even the military. Then came Liberia’s April 14, 1979 Rice Riot, and the ‘progressives’ had no plan whatsoever to seize the opportunity that came. Then the bloody 1980 coup d’état and the ‘progressives’ still had no plan. They were caught with their pants down, until the coup makers, the People’s Redemption Council (PRC), released some of them from prison and ushered them and others straight into positions of power. And because the ‘progressives’ had no plan, but had been making empty noises, the uneducated, inexperienced but politically savvy coup leader, Master Sergeant Samuel K. Doe, swiftly outsmarted the ‘progressives,’ forcing all of them to join the Armed Force of Liberia (AFL). They had no choice but to comply. Not long thereafter, all of them, one by one, started running away from Doe, beginning with the leader, Dr. Togba-Nah Tipoteh, in August 1981. And when the civil war came, many of the ‘progressives’ were finally given the opportunity to lead the country. And what did the Liberian people get? More political ineptitude, more corruption, and more civil war that lasted 14 years, leaving nearly 300,000 dead, millions internally and externally displaced, the country’s infrastructure destroyed and the country set back 50 years! Thankfully, alas! Paul Kagame was not that kind of progressive. So truly and uniquely progressive is he that he is RESULTS-ORIENTED. He hates filth of any kind—not corruption and nepotism, yea not even a piece of paper or plastic on the streets!Our diplomatic correspondent Joaquin Sendolo has been to Rwanda. Upon his return he told the Observer readers that Rwanda is a clean country – one of the cleanest in the world. You cannot find even a cigarette butt on any street.President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has praised President Kagame for empowering women like no other African leader, ensuring them appointed and elected positions in government. Rwanda is also self-sufficient in food, and declines foreign aid unless it meets exclusively the aims and aspirations of the Rwandan people.It is President Kagame’s progressive sprit that led him, unlike MOST African leaders, to lash out against President Nkurunziza: “What kind of politics is this?” Kagame asked in desperation and fear of another civil war next door. And who will be affected? Rwanda, of course, which already has its share of refugees fleeing the violence in Burundi. A civil war would unleash hundreds of thousands more into Rwanda.We pray that other neighboring leaders in East and Central Africa and beyond will follow Paul Kagame’s courageous example by speaking out against President Nkurunziza’s cruelty against his own people.That is what the Daily Observer called for in Wednesday’s Editorial, to arouse world attention against the oppressive and murderous Eritrean regime.Are there any other Paul Kagames anywhere?Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Mokoena fouled in the fifth round and fouled again in sixth round when he had a monster jump, but his 8.24m effort in round four was still good enough for the silver medal. Cuba’s Ibrahim Camejo claimed the bronze medal, with his last jump measuring 8.19 metres. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material 19 August 2008 International excellenceIt is not the first time that Mokoena has excelled in a major international event. Back in 2001, he represented South Africa in the high jump at the World Youth Championships, finishing in seventh place. “Having a silver medal is something that I can cherish for the rest of my life,” said Mokoena. “The guys were looking strong and I knew I was stronger.” Speaking on SAFM afterwards, Mokoena said he had held back a little because of the pace of the track. Despite this, he reckoned, he could feel he had enough in him for a medal. In round three, Panama’s Irving Saladino, the world leader in 2008 with an exceptional 8.73 metre leap in May, then took the lead with a mark of 8.21m. Mokoena cleared the eight-metre barrier with a jump of 8.02m in the same round. It helped him make the top-eight cutoff in fifth place. 400 metres hurdlesLJ van Zyl, the African and Commonwealth 400 metres hurdles champion, finished fifth in the Olympic final in an excellent time of 48.42 seconds, which was not far off his season’s best. Gold medal positionIn round four, Mokoena improved upon that distance and leapt into the gold medal position with a superb jump of 8.24 metres. Saladino, though, quickly grabbed it back with a leap of 8.34 metres. Fast trackMokoena fouled on his second jump, running right through the pit after he got his steps wrong. It was something that he and others struggled with on the very fast track. Elizna Naude failed to qualify for the final of the women’s discus after a best throw of 58.75 metres. Khotso Mokoena ended Team South Africa’s Olympic medals drought on Monday, winning silver in impressive style in the men’s long jump with a leap of 8.24 metres. Two years later, he won a silver medal in the triple jump and a bronze medal in the long jump at the 2003 All Africa Games in Abuja. He was some way off the pace after the first 120 metres but, with his customary strong finish, moved up nicely down the finishing straight. Missed outIn rowing, Ramon di Clemente and Shaun Keeling missed out on a medal after finishing fifth in the final of the men’s pairs. In 2007, competing in the long jump, he was third in the All Africa Games in Algiers, third in the World Athletics finals in Stuttgart, and fifth in the World Championships in Osaka. Thuso Mpuang exited the 200 metres in the first round after posting a time of 20.87 seconds. Javelin throwers Sunette Viljoen and Justine Robbeson also did not progress beyond the group stages. Viljoen was 17th in Group A qualifying with a below-par distance of 55.58 metres, while Robbeson fared better with sixth place in Group B after a best of 59.63 metres. Mokoena’s medal has lifted the spirits of Team South Africa, who have performed well in track and field events thus far. The best that a South African had managed at the Games had been fourth place in the 200 metres freestyle by Jean Basson, which led some to fear that the Rainbow Nation could be held without a single medal for the first time. Mokoena ended those fears. He is the national record holder in the long jump with a distance of 8.39 metres. Mokoena also owns the South African triple jump record of 17.25 metres. His best height in the high jump, achieved in 2001, was 2.10 metres. 1 500 metres finalistJuan van Deventer won his heat in 1 500 metres and was then sixth in his semi-final, finishing only 0.7 seconds behind the winner Asbel Kipruto Kiprop, to qualify for the final. He won his earlier heat in a good time of three minutes, 36.32 seconds. Angelo Taylor claimed the gold medal and led an American 1-2-3 in a career best 47.25 seconds, which was good for eighth on the all-time list. World championEarlier this year, in Valencia, he was crowned the World Indoor long jump champion with a leap of 8.08 metres. In 2006, he won a silver medal in the triple jump at the Commonwealth Games. He also finished second in both the long jump and triple jump at the African Championship in Mauritius. Earlier, both Alwyn Myburgh and Pieter de Villiers had made it to the semi-finals, giving South African three men in the final 16, which reflected well on the country’s depth in the event. Only the USA and Jamaica managed to match that feat. In 2004, at the World Junior Championships in Grosseto, Italy, he won the triple jump title. He added that he had come to the Beijing Olympics expecting to win a medal and he had achieved that. Rika Geyser was first in the women’s singles sculls C final. He opened his challenge with a distance of 7.86 metres as Zimbabwe’s Ngonidzashe Makusha took the first round lead with an excellent jump of 8.19 metres.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory has updated its PVWatts calculator, an interactive program that helps solar installers and homeowners estimate the performance of hypothetical grid-tied photovoltaic systems.PVWatts creates hour-by-hour simulations and provides estimates for monthly and annual energy production, NREL says. A user can use default values that are built in or plug in values of their own, including the location and size of the PV array, the type of array, the tilt angle and the aximuth angle.PVWatts is available in two versions. With the Site Specific Data Calculator, users choose a location from a map or list of locations around the world. With the Grid Data Calculator, users select any location in the U.S. from a 40-kilometer gridded map.PVWatts originally went online in 1999 and has been updated a number of times since then. The newest beta version was released this January. NREL said it would keep PVWatts V1, PVWatts V2, and the PVWatts Viewer going until this summer while tweaking the new system. The program called IMBY (for In My Backyard), however, will be phased out in the first quarter of the year.
Manchester City defender Vincent Kompany believes manager Pep Guardiola’s teachings have helped players get their fundamentals right and credits the Spaniard for the Premier League club’s progress.Guardiola took over at City in 2016 and guided them to a third-placed league finish last season but ended the campaign trophy-less.In his second season at the helm, the Spaniard has led City to an unbeaten start, with the league leaders eight points clear of their closest rivals and on a 19-game winning streak across all competitions.”He’s a great teacher… I’ve got to be honest, it has made me realise how important it is for managers to be actual teachers, no matter what level the footballer is at,” Kompany told Sky Sports.”Sometimes it is taken for granted that top professionals know everything they need to do, but in reality it is quite the opposite.”When you break it down, go back to basics, and explain all of these things to these great players, it gives them another level… Being super cautious, I see progression in the team, but until we’ve won silverware, it’s not enough.”The Belgian defender believes that a mix of being better-adjusted to Guardiola’s tactics and cautious optimism has helped City develop into a better team this campaign.”I don’t think we show as many weaknesses as last season. At the same time, I think we have understood what he (Guardiola) wants a little bit better… we have kind of learned from the fact that nothing has happened yet,” Kompany added.advertisement”We are not getting carried away, I think a lot of people around us are getting carried away, but if you go in the dressing room it’s calm and focused. We all felt what it’s like not to win anything, and we don’t want that to happen again.”City host relegation-threatened West Ham United in the league on Sunday.
The Pentagon disputes Congressional Budget Office estimates of the long-term costs of the Trump Administration’s proposed space organizations, a DOD spokesman told Space News.“The CBO estimates are based on different assumptions than the DOD’s legislative proposal,” spokesman Tom Crosson said in a statement.“The CBO did not consult with DOD or evaluate the DOD space force proposal,” he said. “The department proposed a lean organizational structure for the space force that avoids significant bureaucratic growth by leveraging existing Air Force capabilities.”A CBO report issued last week estimated DOD creation of a space force under the Air Force, a U.S. space command and the Space Development Agency would incur annual costs from $1.1 billion to $1.9 billion, plus another $1.8 billion to $4.7 billion in one-time costs.“The establishment of the United States space force is a small investment to ensure American leadership in space, protect our $19 trillion economy that runs on space, and ensure space capabilities for our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines,” Crosson added.Space and Missile Systems Center photo by Van Ha ADC AUTHOR